Finding self-employed health insurance is not easy and Florida Healthcare Insurance understands that. We know how difficult it can be to find self-employed health insurance plan and the best health insurance companies that suit the needs and budget of a self-employed individual. Rest easy, at Florida Healthcare Insurance we not only know how to find the best plans but are able to find the best prices as well. Now that’s peace of mind.
For the self-employed health insurance comes from one of two places either individually or through a small group.
Being self-employed can be both rewarding and challenging. One of the biggest challenges for self-employed individuals is securing adequate individual health insurance coverage. Fortunately, there are options available in Florida for self-employed individuals to obtain affordable health insurance options.
Self-Employed Health Insurance Options
- Marketplace Health Insurance: The Affordable Care Act established a health insurance marketplace, also known as Healthcare.gov, where individuals can compare and purchase health insurance plans. In Florida, the marketplace offers both on and off-exchange plans for self-employed individuals to choose from.
On-exchange plans are purchased through the marketplace, and off-exchange plans are purchased directly from insurance companies. If you purchae a health insurance plan on-exchange you are eligible for a premium tax credit based on household income to reduce your health care costs. The subsidy is based on your adjusted gross income from the federal government. The marketplace is a fantastic place for self employed people/independent contractors to obtain the best health insurance.
Off-Exchange health insurance options can be purchased directly from a Health Insurance company. Examples of this is AvMed offering a POS plan directly. For an off exchange plan premium tax credits are not allowed.
- Short-Term Health Insurance: Short-term health insurance plans are designed for individuals who are temporarily without insurance coverage. These plans typically have lower premiums and limited coverage, but they can provide coverage for unexpected health issues.
Short term plans do not cover essential health benefits and are offered by private insurance companies such as Golden Rule Insurance Company. In addition individuals enrolled in a Short Term Health Insurance are not eligible for premium tax credits on the Marketplace(Affordable Care Act).
- Association Health Plans (AHPs): Association Health Plans allow self-employed people to join through a trade or professional association to purchase health insurance as a group. This can often result in lower premiums and more comprehensive coverage.
- Health Savings Accounts (HSAs): Health Savings Accounts are tax-advantaged savings accounts that can be used to pay for qualifying medical expenses. These accounts can be paired with a high-deductible health insurance plan to provide coverage while saving money on taxes. HSA’s are amongst the best solutions for health insurance for self employed workers. Health Insurance premiums are generally less than a copay plan and most feature health and wellness discounts.
Florida small business health insurance(Group Health Insurance)
An employer sponsored health insurance is a fantastic solution self employed people. For a group health insurance your employer will cover health care costs. for A small business is a company with at least 4 employees, but not more than 50 (yes, one of them can be a spouse). As with an ACA individual health insurance plan enrollment is not subject to medical history.
In terms of affordable health insurance group coverage tends to be expensive for bronze and silver plans. On the other hand, the entire premium can be deducted for tax purposes. The disadvantages are that there are no tax credits to offset any of the costs for self employed workers.
There are certain eligibility requirements and one of them is that the company must have a legitimate business with legitimate employees. That means asking for business documentation, hours of work, place of work, name of employees, etc. People like the arrangement of having their own company health insurance for its many advantages and for the lower financial risks for plan members. The best part about this type of policy? A large provider network providing the best health insurance. Again, let our team help you with either a group or individual self employed health plan.
Cost of Self-Employed Health Insurance in Florida
The cost of self-employed health insurance in Florida varies depending on the type of plan and the individual’s age, location, and health status. On average, self-employed individuals can expect to pay anywhere from $200 to $1000 per month for coverage. It is important to compare the costs of different plans and to consider both the monthly premium and the out-of-pocket expenses, such as deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance. Children may be eligible for the children’s health insurance program depending on other health insurance.
Plans to Avoid for Self Employed Health Insurance
- Indemnity Insurance: Indemnity insurance plans, also known as fee-for-service plans, allow individuals to choose their own healthcare providers and to receive reimbursement for covered expenses.
This type of plan is ideal for self-employed individuals who want more control over their healthcare. Health Insurance premiums for Indemnity plans are quite low as compared to other options. This is due to the limited health coverage they provide. Despite its low health insurance cost, we recommend self-employed people to find health coverage elsewhere.
- Health care sharing ministries. Health care Sharing Ministries is not health insurance, nor does it offer health insurance coverage. We recommend self-employed workers find individual health insurance elsewhere.
Self-employed individuals in Florida have several options for obtaining health insurance coverage, including marketplace plans, short-term plans, association plans, health savings accounts, and indemnity insurance. The cost of these plans varies, so it is important to compare the costs and coverage options of each plan. With proper planning, self-employed individuals can find a health insurance plan that meets their needs and provides the coverage they need to stay healthy and financially secure.
Worried about pricing? Don’t be, Florida Healthcare Insurance has that under control as well and shops all their major carriers to get the best prices. In general, the cost of Florida small business health insurance is based on a standard rate – meaning the average of the risk associated with each insured in the total group. We are here 24/7 to help you today. Simply give us a call at 954-282-6891.